That effort has lead me to.... Spinach and kale "burgers"!
I found a recipe at The Domestic Mama and The Village Cook for spinach burgers and decided to put my own twist on their recipe.
I didn't have enough spinach in the freezer, so I went half kale and the results were great.
I topped my "burgers" with sliced avocado, sans bun, but they would def. be tasty on a toasted roll should you so desire.
Spinach and Kale "Burgers"
Makes 6 burgers
1/2 bag frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
1/2 bag frozen kale, thawed and well drained
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 T EVOO
- Heat 1 T olive oil (EVOO) in a skillet. Add chopped onion and cook over low heat until they begin to caramelize (about 15 min.) Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for another few minutes until garlic begins to brown.
- While that is cooking, squeeze as much water out of your thawed spinach and kale as possible.
- In a large bowl, mix spinach and kale, your carmelized onion and garlic, 2 eggs, the panko breadcrumbs, shredded cheddar and spices (you can add any additional that you like, besides the peppers).
- Form 6 patties, spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and cook each patty for 4 min. on each side.
- Serve with any topping of your choosing, "naked" or on a bun!
|Spinach and Kale "Burgers" before cooking.|